Thursday marked the second anniversary of All Things Linguistic. Since I post daily and so much has happened since then, I have a LOT of favourite posts! Here are some of them.
- Phonotactics, or why Spanish speakers drink Esprite (with follow-up)
- Giving a shit about negative polarity items (examples from Parks & Rec)
- Jabberwocky: How do you translate a word that doesn’t mean anything?
- Contrastive focus reduplication (the difference between milk and milk milk)
- How did John Travolta get from Idina Menzel to Adele Dazeem?
- Why didn’t “fetch” happen?
- Why the Korean alphabet is brilliant
- A discussion of types of writing systems, such as abugidas and syllabaries, including Devanagari and Canadian Aboriginal Syllabics
- Beatboxing written in IPA
- How to remember the IPA vowel chart
- A detailed explanation of sonorants, obstruents, and sonority
- The pin/pen merger in Fangirl (with response from Rainbow Rowell)
- How linguistics is like coding
- 28 tips for doing better in your intro linguistics course (plus bonus parody tips for doing worse)
- Hyperbolic “literally” is actually fine
- Why do we get confused about “you and me”?
- 8 myths about language and linguistics
Accents and Dialects:
- How to do an Australian accent
- Talking Canadian - an old but good documentary on Canadian English
- Teaching codeswitching in American schools
- Accents in the British Isles (see notes for comments on accuracy and lack thereof)
- How Canadians really pronounce “about” (for Grammar Girl)
- Old-school British vs American accents (for The Toast)
- Dialects of Sign Language: Black ASL
- Double modals: You might could like them
- Every argument you’ll ever need for singular “they”
- Inventing nonbinary pronouns
- What does “she” in science fiction tell us about languages on Earth?
- Linguistics Hulk on twitter
- We’re up all night for linguistics (a Get Lucky parody)
- Negation in Welcome to Night Vale (which was also my first appearance on Grammar Girl)
- On the invention of Parseltongue
- There is a Noam Chomsky garden gnome
- What if punctuation came with sound effects and gestures?
- Linguists Against Humanity
- We also talked a lot about expletive infixation (how de-fucking-lightful!)
- Who are the science communicators for linguistics?
- Linguistics summer camps
- Editing Wikipedia
- We had a tumblinguist meetup at the LSA in Ann Arbor
- I started compiling linguistics videos as I came across them (especially by Tom Scott and DS Bigham)
What makes an effective synonym for Benedict Cumberbatch? (my first article for The Toast)
The grammar of doge for The Toast, from which came this quote post (which currently has just over 13.7k notes, what?). The French doge example and why no one knows how to say “doge” were fun too, as of course was talking to the BBC about it.
Assorted other internet linguistics:
- What makes a good fandom pairing (ship) name?
- Gender differences in emoticon usage
- On adding a period after a text message
- Elaborate ways to lose your ability to even
- The stylistic effects of
- The syntax of shipping
- Slides from a keynote I gave about internet syntax
- What makes a socially successful Facebook status? (At least in 2009)
- What do we mean by “the fandom”?
Series: the protolinguist series was mostly last year, although the master post came up this year. This year I also started the linguistics jobs series, which is a still-ongoing collection of resources and interviews.
Looking forward to another year with you all!
Since music is the only language with the contradictory attributes of being intelligible and untranslatable, the musical creator is a being comparable to the gods, and music itself the supreme mystery of the science of man.
—anthropologist Claude Lévi-Strauss (via jtotheizzoe)
Now, look at this:
That’s “Paul Mounet”, a french actor, who “died” in 1922.
His body never was found.
Then, look at this:
An unknown man, painted in 1530 by Parmigianino.
He’s a motherfucking vampire
His beard in 2011 even grows the same way as the painting in 1530
ohmygosh you guys, the dawn room is the single best thing i’ve discovered on the Internet. If you feel at all crappy in any way, go on there right now. Seriously. Anything else you’re doing can wait.
IM CRYING BECAUSE IT SAID TO THINK OF THE MOST IMPORTANT PERSON OR WHATEVER AND I COULD ONLY THINK OF MY DOG SO THE ADVICE I TYPED IN WAS “GOOD DOG” AND IF THAT GETS SENT TO SOMEONE ELSE IM GONNA CRY
Reblogging again because this is absolutely beautiful. This doesn’t have nearly as many notes as it should, spread it around people. Help spread the love.
Do it for me guys? *hugs* Love you all.
no but really, this is actually pretty cool
dont u hate it when its nine in the afternoon but ur eyes are just normal sized
I’ve seen this post three times on my dash and i still cant fucking figure out what it means is it like some secret code. are 22,000+ of you in a secret society????? what the fuck is going on?????
some of my favorite tags:
some more gems:
this post just gets better and better